I tried this out for dinner last night and thought it would be a good healthy dinner idea to share with you guys. If you haven’t ever cooked with gnocchi before you should be able to find it in any local supermarket in the fresh pasta section and it’s usually not very expensive!
Ingredients: ( makes 5/6 portions depending on how hungry you are)
- 1 small onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 750ml Tomato Passata
- 2 teaspoons Basil
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1kg Gnocchi
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- Grated Cheddar
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Prepare your ingredients: Chop your onion, pepper, tomatoes and mince your garlic. Slice up your mozzarella ball.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a deep frying pan and add onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes then add in the pepper.
- Add the tomato passata to the onion mix .
- Add Basil and Oregano and any seasoning such as salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add tomatoes.
- Let the tomato sauce cook for about 2o minutes on the hob.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the instructions on the pack, it generally takes under 5 minutes. When the gnocchi is ready thoroughly drain it. Then put it back into the pan that it was cooked it and mix in the tomato sauce.
- Tip the tomatoey-gnocchi mix into an oven-proof dish and arrange mozzarella slices and grated cheese on the top. You can even add some halved cherry tomatoes to the top if you’re feeling adventurous like moi.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the cheese goes all bubbly and brown around the edges!
I served up mine with some garlic bread and salad and it definitely made a filling and healthy dinner! Let me know if any of you try it 🙂