This was by far the best tasting chocolate cake I have ever made so I thought I would share it with you guys! Give this a go and I assure you, you will not be disappointed!
- 100g Margarine/Butter
- 2 eggs
- 260g Caster Sugar
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- a pinch of Salt
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 160ml Milk
For the Icing:
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted Margarine/Butter
- 3-4 tablespoons of Boiling Water
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa
- Sprinkles of your choice
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and line your tins.
2) Weigh out all of your sponge ingredients.
3) Beat together the margarine and sugar for about 5 minutes till light and fluffy ( you can do it by hand or electric whisk).
4) In a separate small bowl, beat together the two eggs. Add the eggs gradually to the margarine/sugar mix until fully combined.
5) Sieve in the cocoa to the mix well.
6) Sieve in half the flour and the pinch of salt.
7) Add the milk and mix until well combined.
8) Mix in the rest of the flour.
9) Pour the mixture evenly into your tins and make sure you have a flat top.
10) Bake for about 20-25 mins. To check when your cakes are done, poke the small end of a spoon into the middle and if it comes out clean they are ready!
11) On to the icing; make this while your cakes are cooling. Sieve together the icing sugar and cocoa. Add in the melted butter. Add the boiling water gradually and mix until well combined.
12) When the cakes are cool enough spread the icing in the middle and on the top of the cake. Finish by adding your sprinkles of choice on the top!
Hope you enjoy 🙂