As the weather has begun to pick up in the UK and the generally elusive sun has appeared, I’ve been getting excited for spring/summer. Strawberries and cream is something that always reminds me of hot, sunny days and I wanted to make a cupcake that reminded me that summer is finally coming! I should say the recipe for the actual cake is from the hummingbird bakery book, the best cupcake sponge I’ve made so far, So here’s my recipe for yummy strawberry cream cupcakes…….
- 120g SR flour
- 40g unsalted Butter
- 140g sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the filling and icing:
- 12 teaspoons of jam
- 300ml double cream
- 3 tbsps icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- handful of ripe strawberries
- Fairy cake/muffin tin
- 12 cake cases
1) Pop the cakes cases into the muffin tin and preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
2) Mix the butter, sugar, flour and salt together with an electric whisk until it resembles sand.
3) Add in half of the milk and mix thoroughly.
4) In a separate bowl beat the remaining milk, egg and vanilla extract, then add this to the flour mixture. Mix thoroughly until you have a smooth batter.
5) Spoon the batter into the cake cases ( as equally as possible). Fill to about 2/3 full to make sure you leave plenty of room for them to rise.
6) Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Check they’re cooked by poking the thin end of a spoon into the middle of a cake and making sure it comes out clean! Leave the cakes to cool.
7) While the cakes are cooling, beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla together with an electric whisk until it begins to form peaks.
8) For decoration I cut my strawberries into slices and used a small heart cutter to get little heart shaped pieces of strawberry ( see the photos below). If you don’t want to do this just slice the strawberry in half to add on top!
9) When the cakes are cool enough, cut a small circle of the top of the cakes and fill them each with about a teaspoon of strawberry jam but you can always add more of course!
10) Ensuring the cakes are cool enough now you can pipe your cream in a swirl on top starting from the outside of the cake moving inwards. If you don’t want to pipe you could make the cakes into butterfly cakes or simply smooth some cream on the top of the cake!
11) Add the strawberry for decoration and voila!
Hope you enjoy 🙂